Kids' Meals is a Better Business Bureau Charity Partner and Accredited Charity
The mission of Kids’ Meals, Inc. is to end hunger among children by delivering nutritious meals to the doors of children in need, free of cost, every weekday year round. As Texas’ only meals-on-wheels service for children, we provide healthy home-delivered lunches to hungry children under the age of five who live in poverty.
Kids’ Meals is the only organization that is bridging the gap for hungry preschool aged children. We are the missing piece for children ages 1-5 who are too old for services from organizations such as WIC and not yet old enough to receive free breakfast and lunch in school.
The meals-on-wheels program concept for preschool-aged children originated in the early 1980s with a predecessor entity. Kids' Meals, as it exists today, was created in 2006 when the charity began servicing two routes; on Houston's North and East sides of town.
Since April 2008, Kids' Meals has established a strong 17-member Board of Directors, a 29-member Advisory Board and has made significant progress towards building an organization to feed hungry children for many years to come. In September 2010, under the direction of Ruth Burrell, Executive Director, Kids' Meals reached an important milestone; the number of children served increased 17% from 1,200 to 1,400 daily. In May of 2012, we increased the number of children served again from 1,400 to 1,700 daily. This growth is due to effective leveraging of community volunteers, partnerships with foundations, corporations and community organizations.
Kids’ Meals does not simply provide lunches, we also assist families by:
- Providing bags of groceries containing nutritious food items such as fruits and vegetables
- Sponsoring Easter Egg hunts
- Delivering Thanksgiving turkey baskets
- Hosting Christmas parties, where children meet Santa and receive food and toys
- Involving the children in community activities by taking them on outings such as Rockets and Astros games, The Barnum and Bailey Circus, Mitzvah Day at Fun-Tiki with Congregation Emanu El, The Children’s Museum and the Nutcracker Ballet
- Organizing drives to provide hygiene items, school supplies and other necessities
- Offering family resource referrals for meal and budget planning, assistance obtaining medical resources, counseling and even assistance with GED’s